20th - 24th February 2023
Highlights of the week:
- We have learnt the letter -o- as code for /u/ as in son. We have learnt that the dashes either side of this word show that when this letter is code for /u/ it comes in the middle of the word. We have also learnt the letter ‘a’ as code for /ai/ as in table. When you come across words with your children where the letter is code for a different sound to what they say, use the phrase ‘in this word, this letter is code for……’ In your child’s phonics folder you will find some of the sheets that they have completed in the lessons this week.
- We have then had a go at forming our letters correctly. We have been working on our pencil grip using our ‘froggy legs’ and trying to form the letters correctly using the word patters/rhymes to support us.
- This week we have been reading ‘Bears don’t read’. We have explored the idea of helping others and looking at responsibilities. We also thought about our own learning journey with reading!
- This week in maths we have been exploring numbers 9 & 10. The children have had a go at building and representing these numbers using a range of resources such as cubes, multilink, numicon, tens frame and counters. The children have started to explore the numbers within these numbers and think of different ways you can make 9 and 10. We then used our comparing vocabulary ‘more’ and ‘less’ to compare numbers to 10.
- This week in P.E we have started a new unit of learning on ball skills. Throughout this unit will be learning to throw, catch, kick and dribble with control. This week the children enjoyed a circuit of activities involving controlling different balls around different obstacles and passing to a partner.
- The children enjoyed our visit to the Library again! Please remember to send in your library books and we will change these as a whole class on a Friday morning.
Home learning ideas:
- Take some time to look through your child’s new phonics folder with them and pick out some pages to practise. You can record this as part of your child’s reading in their reading journal.
- Have you downloaded the new White Rose Maths app? If so your child could play some of the games on this to support them with their maths learning.
- Can you sing some of the songs we have been singing in maths this week such as 10 green bottles or 10 in a bed. https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/school-radio/nursery-rhymes-counting-songs/zn67kmn