17th - 21st April 2023
Highlights of the week:
- We have learnt the letter group wh as code for /wh/ as in wheel and we have learnt the letter group ea as code for /ee/ as in eat.
- We have then had a go at forming our letters correctly. We have been working on our pencil grip using our ‘froggy legs’ and trying to form the letters correctly using the word patters/rhymes to support us.
- This week in maths we have been exploring teen numbers. We have been counting to 20 and beyond this week to support the children with seeing the patterns in the numbers. We have used a range of resources such as numicon, tens frame, counters, cubes and number square to explore and build the teen numbers. We have been working on recognising numbers to 20 and building them.
Independent Learning Challenges:
- This week in our independent learning challenges the children had a maths challenge recapping our previous week's learning on sharing and grouping. Our writing challenge was based around the book ‘Supertato’. The children had to write captions about the characters using their phonic knowledge.
- In PE this week we started our new unit of learning which is dance. This half term we will be exploring and creating a dinosaur dance. Each lesson the children will build on their movements to eventually create a group dance.
- This week we started Drawing Club! Each week we will enjoy a new story and use our imaginations to draw a picture and write a secret password to draw a range of pictures based around the book such as the character, setting and an adventure time challenge. The children have all engaged really well with their drawings and have written some fantastic passwords for their pictures.
Home learning ideas:
- Take some time to look through your child’s new phonics folder with them and pick out some pages to practise. You can record this as part of your child’s reading in their reading journal.
- Could you work on your number formation and write some teen numbers? You could write these numbers in some flour or shaving foam.