● We have learnt the letter group ay which is code for /ay/ as in tray and we have learnt the letter w as code for /w/ as in web. In your child’s phonics folder you will find some of the sheets that they have completed in the lessons this week.
● We have then had a go at forming our letters correctly. We have been working on our pencil grip using our ‘froggy legs’ and trying to form the letters correctly using the word patters/rhymes to support us.
● This week we have been thinking about our new topic concept of ‘special’. We have been thinking about our visit from Little City and thinking about special jobs in our community that help us. This week we have read a range of books such as ‘Hospital Dog’, ‘Detective dog’, ‘The Jolly Postman’ and ‘Cops and Robbers’. We have then talked and discussed further the roles of the characters from our story and talked about people who help us in our community.
● This week we have been comparing mass and volume. The children have been using the vocabulary heavy, light, heavier, lighter, full, empty etc. The children have been really excited to use our new outdoor scales this week, using the vocabulary they have learnt during maths in their independent learning time.
● As part of our ‘Dreams and Goals’ unit we have been learning about always trying our best and never giving up, even when things are difficult. We have linked this learning to our school’s core value of determination. We thought about our goals that we could work on in school and at home. Some of the children thought of ideas such as working on their reading, handwriting or counting.
● As our gymnasts grow in confidence, they will move on to climbing onto and jumping off of equipment, playing games in which, they have to listen as well as move. They have also had a go at adding balances to their sequences and performing them with increasing control.
● Take some time to look through your child’s new phonics folder with them and pick out some pages to practise. You can record this as part of your child’s reading in their reading journal.
● Could you go on a hunt around your house to find things that are heavy and light.