In English this week, we read the ending of Stone Age Boy. We then started planning and writing our own narrative, ‘21st Century Girl’. We thought about how a girl from the Stone Age might see our world. We drew story maps and annotated them ready to write our stories next week.
In Maths this week, we have been learning about adding and subtracting 1s, 10s and 100s. We looked at the different columns and how they changed when we were adding and subtracting. We also looked at our reasoning skills, thinking about how we can explain our thinking using mathematical terms.
This week in Phonics we looked at /-y/ as in gym and hymn. The class have shown great understanding in how to use the new phonics scheme and have practised saying, reading and writing the daily sounds. They have also practised writing these in their handwriting sessions to cement their understanding of the spellings of these words.
Our enquiry question for this term is ‘How do we know about what happened long ago?’ We started this topic by looking at the Stone Age.
In art, we made paint last week using natural materials. This week, we had a go at using the paint. We discovered that because the paint was made of materials like sand and mud, it made it quite challenging to use the charcoal over the top of our paint. However, the final pieces are amazing.
In History, we took on the role of archaeologists and made some discoveries about Deer Class from looking at the bin to see what we could learn, Yuck! We then looked at some artefacts and played a game of ‘Would I lie to you?’. We had to try and convince the class that our artefacts were not what they first seemed.
In PE, we continued with our Dodgeball unit. We practised the skills of catching and blocking the dodgeball. We used a second ball to block an oncoming dodgeball in order to stay in the game.
In RE, we continued looking at belonging. We then looked at what it means to be Muslim and how Muslim’s show belonging. We watched a video about what life is like as a Muslim child. https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/class-clips-video/religious-education- ks2-my-life-my -religion-what-is-islam/zbmrwty. We also looked at the 5 pillars of Islam.
In computing, we looked at how to send an email and why people use emails as a way of communicating. We emailed Mrs Batchelor to tell her all about what we had learnt. We also talked about the fact that not all emails are safe and we shouldn’t open some emails from people we do not know.
● Please make sure you are reading with your child at least four times a week and commenting on their reading in their reading record book.
● Your child has come home with a list of spellings, which we will practise on Fridays. Please can you support your child with learning these during the week.
● This week’s spellings are; crystal, myth, symbol, mystery, rhythm, hygiene, cycle, heist, neither, feisty.
● Now we have TimesTables Rockstars, please support your child to access it online. It is recommended that children play TTRS for 5 minutes a day for maximum impact.
● PE days for Year 3 are Wednesdays and Fridays.
● Our library days are on Thursdays, please can you make sure your child has their library book to return or renew. We have a few overdue books, please could you look for these at home, so your child can take home a new book.