It has been lovely to have the children break after their Christmas Holidays. They have been so focussed and ready to learn this week!
In English this week, we have started looking at a new text called ‘A house that once was’. We looked at the front cover of the book and tried to decide what a good title would be based on the images that we could see. We then focussed more on the house itself and thought about who may have lived in the house before it was abandoned. We ended the week by making a story map of the story and the key events.
In Maths this week, we finished our first multiplication and division unit. We used our multiples of 8 to help us to solve problems. We looked at how we could use bar models and other pictorials to support us with our learning.
Our enquiry question for this term is ‘Can anywhere be home?’
In our outdoor PE session this week we started our net and wall unit. We completed a number of different activities that put us to our paces. We had to use fast footwork to complete the different challenges. During our indoor session, we completed a circuit based on travelling. We focussed on the skills of side stepping, doing lunges and hopscotch with increasing speed and accuracy.
We started our new Science unit this week, animals including humans. We kicked off the unit by looking at the ‘EatWell Guide’. We looked at the different sections of the ‘EatWell plate’. We then had a go at creating our own eat well plates so show others the different proportions of the different food groups.
In Spanish, we learnt how to say, “My name is”. After we had practised this, we started to have a short conversation. We recapped the greeting we had learnt last half term and then introduced ourselves. We are going to continue to build up this conversation this half term.
● Please make sure you are reading with your child at least four times a week and commenting on their reading in their reading record book.
● Your child has come home with a list of spellings, which we will practise on Fridays. Please can you support your child with learning these during the week.
● This week’s spellings; group, heard, history, important, knowledge, library, material, medicine, increase, island.
● Now we have TimesTables Rockstars, please support your child to access it online. It is recommended that children play TTRS for 5 minutes a day for maximum impact.
● PE days for Year 3 are Wednesdays (outdoors) and Fridays (indoors).
● Our library days are on Thursdays, please can you make sure your child has their library book to return or renew. We have a few overdue books, please could you look for these at home, so your child can take home a new book.