In English this week, we have been looking at Newspaper reports. We are writing our own newspaper reports on the discovery of the Lascaux Caves in France. We found out that the cave was discovered by a teenager and his dog called “Robot”. We have been looking at the features of a newspaper and how to use quotes in our reports.
In Maths this week, we applied our column addition knowledge when we visited the “Minecraft Shop”. We have a budget to spend each day and we had to ensure we didn’t go over budget, as the Ender Dragon would be after us. At the end of the week, we have been looking at subtraction. We have started looking at subtracting 2 3-digit numbers, focusing on when we have to exchange the tens and ones.
This week in Spellings, we have been looking at new spelling strategies as we move away from phonics and look at spelling rules to help us spell some more complex words. We have looked at some other spelling strategies to help us improve our spelling. We have also been challenging ourselves to add prefixes and suffixes to our spelling words.
Our enquiry question for this term is ‘How do we know about what happened long ago?’ We started this topic by looking at the Stone Age.
In science, we planned and conducted our own experiment. We were testing the permeability and durability of different rocks. We tested permeability by seeing how much water each rock absorbed. Then we used sandpaper to test how durable the rock was.
We had a special Spanish lesson this week from a Spanish teacher from Wildern. She taught us some Spanish names for different animals. We played some games and really enjoyed the new vocabulary. We also learnt how to say big or small to describe the animals.
In Geography, we started our new unit learning about land use. We looked at different google maps and compared them to a sketch map. We then had a go at drawing our own sketch maps.
● Please make sure you are reading with your child at least four times a week and commenting on their reading in their reading record book.
● Your child has come home with a list of spellings, which we will practise on Fridays. Please can you support your child with learning these during the week.
● consider, famous, favourite, February, forward, extreme, exercise, eight, disappear, describe
● Now we have TimesTables Rockstars, please support your child to access it online. It is recommended that children play TTRS for 5 minutes a day for maximum impact.
● PE days for Year 3 are Wednesdays (Outdoors) and Fridays (Indoors).
● Our library days are on Thursdays, please can you make sure your child has their library book to return or renew. We have a few overdue books, please could you look for these at home, so your child can take home a new book.