Well done Year 3, you have worked so hard in your first half term in KS2. We are very proud of you!
In English this week, we have started looking at a new book, ‘The First Drawing’. We have been focusing on the main character in the story, ‘The Boy’. In our writing this week, we are trying to develop our vocabularyand include this in our character descriptions.
In guided reading, we have also been looking at ‘The First Drawing’. We have been working on our inference skills and how they can be developed to ‘read between the lines’ of a text, not just retrieve the answers.
In Maths this week, we have been working on our column written within word problems and in missing number problems. We have also been working on subtracting when the number crosses the 10s or then 1s numbers.
This week in Spellings, we have been looking at your new spelling strategies as we move away from phonics and look at spelling rules to help us spell some more complex words. We have looked at some other spelling strategies to help us improve our spelling. We have also been challenging ourselves to add prefixes and suffixes to our spelling words.Our enquiry question for this term is ‘How do we know about what happened long ago?’ We started this topic by looking at the Stone Age.
In Geography, we looked at how the UK has changed over time and the reasons why it needs to change. We also looked at immigration and why people would like to move to the UK. When then labelled the different countries on the world map using an atlas.
In History, we learned about the different theories of why Stonehenge was built. We presented these theories to the class to try and understand why such a famous landmark was initially created.
In PE, we finished our Dodgeball unit. We played a number of games against each other. We tried to use all the skills we have learnt this half term to ensure that we had the best chance of winning.
● Please make sure you are reading with your child at least four times a week and commenting on their reading in their reading record book.
● Your child has come home with a list of spellings, which we will practise on Fridays. Please can you support your child with learning these during the week.
● There are no spellings over half term.
● Now we have TimesTables Rockstars, please support your child to access it online. It is recommended that children play TTRS for 5 minutes a day for maximum impact
● PE days for Year 3 are Wednesdays and Fridays.
● Our library days are on Thursdays, please can you make sure your child has their library book to return or renew. We have a few overdue books, please could you look for these at home, so your child can take home a new book.