It was lovely to see so many of you in school this week. The children loved showing you their caves and the art work we have been doing so far in Year 3.
In English this week, we have been writing stories called ‘21st Century Girl’. We have thought about how a Stone Age Girl might react if she found herself in the 21st Century. We also learnt how to use inverted commas in our writing to show that a character is speaking.
In Maths this week, we have been learning about adding and subtracting 1s, 10s and 100s. We looked at the different columns and how they changed when we were adding and subtracting. We also looked at our reasoning skills, thinking about how we can explain our thinking using mathematical terms.
This week in Spellings, we have been looking at new spelling strategies as we move away from phonics and look at spelling rules to help us spell some more complex words. We had some fun looking at a spelling scribble and stick man spelling.
Our enquiry question for this term is ‘How do we know about what happened long ago?’ We started this topic by looking at the Stone Age.
We had an exciting art lesson this week. We turned ‘Mouse’ classroom into a cave and enjoyed painting the walls. We used all the techniques we have learned to create an amazing final collaborative project.
In History, we learned all about Stonehenge and how it could have been built. We then had a go at building our own Stonehenge out of biscuits and icing sugar. It wasn’t as easy as we thought it was going to be. We then thought back to the builds in 3000BC and who would have built Stonehenge and how difficult they would have found it.
In PE, we continued with our Dodgeball unit and played our first games. We tried to use all the skills we have learnt this half term to ensure that we had the best chance of winning.
● Please make sure you are reading with your child at least four times a week and commenting on their reading in their reading record book.
● Your child has come home with a list of spellings, which we will practise on Fridays. Please can you support your child with learning these during the week.
● This week’s spellings are; accident, answer, believe, breathe, business, breath, busy, caught, certain, circle.
● Now we have TimesTables Rockstars, please support your child to access it online. It is recommended that children play TTRS for 5 minutes a day for maximum impact.
● PE days for Year 3 are Wednesdays and Fridays.
● Our library days are on Thursdays, please can you make sure your child has their library book to return or renew. We have a few overdue books, please could you look for these at home, so your child can take home a new book.