● In English we stepped into character as someone on the Titanic. We had characters ranging from captains, first class passengers, third class passengers, trimmers, firemen and stewards. We then planned and wrote diary entries from our trip on the Titanic, as our chosen person. We have also looked this week at editing our own writing against a success criteria. We came up with several features that we wanted our diary entries to include, such as full stops, capital letters, expanded noun phrases and coordinating conjunctions and marked our own work based on this. The children enjoyed taking ownership of marking and editing their own writing!
● In Maths, we have been continuing our unit on money. We started the week by exploring how we can make the same amount using coins and notes. We then went on to compare different amounts of money, using our knowledge of pounds and pence. We finally started to calculate with money, using the skill of counting on, partitioning and regrouping.
● This week in Phonics we looked at the /wr/ spelling for ‘r’. In words like writing, wring and wreath. We also researched and defined words for our Vocabulary Ninja topic words for the Titanic. This included; baltic, collision, evacuate, luxurious, merchant, tragedy and many more! We created posters to show the definitions of these words and will be challenging ourselves to use these words in our writing.
● In Guided Reading we have been using the text ‘If you were a child aboard the Titanic.’ We have used the reading skills of explain, retrieve and vocabulary to find meanings of new and unfamiliar words and find information from the text that supports our ideas.
● In Science we have started a new unit called Animals including humans. This week we have researched and created a poster to define the terms omnivore, carnivore and herbivore. Please question us on these animal groups and see if we could give you some examples!
● Please make sure you are reading with your child at least four times a week and commenting on their reading in their reading record book. Please can reading records stay in your child's book bag.
● Phonics folders are sent home on a Friday, please could these be returned at the start of the next week.
● Please support your child to access Numbots online. It is recommended that children play Numbots for 10 minutes a day for maximum impact.
● Spellings are sent home on Monday’s for the text on Friday. Please can you practice these with your child throughout the week.