● In English we have continued looking at descriptive writing. We have explored and defined homophones and suffixes. Please challenge us by asking what these words mean and see if we could give you an example! We have also fired up our imaginations this week, to plan and write our own descriptive story based on an imaginary world. We have been amazed by the incredible ideas and creative imaginary world designs!
● In Maths, we have started our new unit, focusing on addition and subtraction. We began by recapping our knowledge of number bonds within 10, before exploring number bonds within 20. We were able to use our confidence of place value (tens and ones) to support us with this. We then explored related facts, to look at solving addition and subtraction problems within 100. Related facts defines using our understanding of number bonds within 10 (5+2=7) to help work out number bonds within 100 (50+20=70).
● This week in Phonics we looked at /aw/ as in strawberries and thaw. We have also looked at another one of our Year 2 common exception words this week. Our word this week was beautiful. We have been challenging ourselves to use this word in our independent writing. Our focus homophones this week were whole and hole.
● In Computing, we have explored being kind online. The children came up with lots of excellent ideas of how to be kind online and what to do if someone is unkind to them online.
● In Art, we have been using colour wheels to match colours from images. We have also pracitsed a range of painting techniques that we will be using to create our own illustrations for our descriptive story.
● In guided reading, we have been focusing on using the reading skills of inferring, sequencing, summarising and predicting. We have especially enjoyed being creative and using freeze frames to retell a story. We rounded off our Science unit of plants by planting pea seeds outside our classrooms. We are excited to test our predictions and observe how the seeds grow!
● Please make sure you are reading with your child at least four times a week and commenting on their reading in their reading record book. Please can reading records stay in your child's book bag.
● Please support your child to access Numbots online. It is recommended that children play Numbots for 10 minutes a day for maximum impact.
● We have shortened the spelling test to 5 words per week, these are a mixture of the homophone or common exception word learned that week and the focus sound. We will still test these on Fridays, so please can you support your child with learning these during the week. Some fun ways to practice spellings are: rainbow writing, bubble writing, look-cover-write-check, sensory writing, chanting, singing etc…
● This week's spelling saw, jaws, whole, prawns and hole.
● Our library days are on Fridays, please can you make sure your child has their library book to return or renew.
● Due to a clash in the school calendar we will be hosting the Parent read on Friday 21st October 2022 at 2:30pm. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.
● Harvest festival- Monday 17th October. We will be collecting donations of tins, dry food and toiletries for Kings Community Church food bank.