● In English we started the week by planning and writing a newspaper report about the villain in our traditional tale. We have been looking at Jack and the Beanstalk, Hansel and Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs. After writing our newspaper reports we had a go at editing our writing against a success criteria. This helped us with identifying successes in our writing and also where to improve.
● In Maths, we have been continuing our multiplication and division unit by practicing the 2 times tables. We explored and wrote multiplication and division sentences. We then went on to look at doubling and halving using dominos!
● This week in Phonics we looked at the /gu/ spelling for ‘g’. In words like guide, guy and guard. We spoke about how the ‘u’ is quite cheeky and silent when we read these words. We have been busy learning lots of new common exception words this week. Our common exception words for this week are; both, move, prove, improve, should, would, could, most and only.
● In Science we have been looking at ways to stay healthy. We have explored the eatwell plate, food groups and carried out an experiment to see how different types of exercise can impact our body. This week we have created a leaflet to inform people about the different ways you can keep your body healthy.
● In Guided Reading our focus book is Little Red. We started by exploring the book and finding new vocabulary. We were able to use thesaurus’ and the internet to find the definitions of these words. We also used the skill of inference to step into the role of Little Red in a hot seat and answer questions.
● Please make sure you are reading with your child at least four times a week and commenting on their reading in their reading record book. Please can reading records stay in your child's book bag.
● Phonics folders are now going to be sent home at each half term. You can use the folders to recap the focus sounds with your children and practise reading.
● Please support your child to access Numbots online. It is recommended that children play Numbots for 10 minutes a day for maximum impact.
● Spellings are sent home on Monday’s for the text on Friday. Please can you practice these with your child throughout the week.