We had a wonderful time at The Blue Reef Aquarium this week. We explored lots of different sea creatures, had a play at the park and even investigated Southsea beach! I am sure we will all be keen to talk to you about this amazing trip.
● In Phonics we have been focusing on ‘ph’ as code for ‘f’ in words such as laugh and cough. We also learned some new Year 2 common exception words; walk, talk, always, call, tall and ball. We practised spelling these words in bubble writing, rainbow writing and cursive.
● In Maths we started looking at capacity, measuring in millilitres and litres. We explored a range of containers, ordering them from largest to smallest capacity. We have also used the skill of estimating to make a ‘sensible guess’ as to how much liquid is in a container. We have learned that a litre is a larger unit of measurement than a millilitre.
● In English we identified the nonfiction features in our class text, such as headings, sub-headings, captions and facts, by labelling a page from the book. After our trip to the aquarium, we planned and wrote a chronological report that details the events of our trip. We worked hard to recall the features of a newspaper and ensured that our writing included; capital letters, correct punctuation, conjunctions (and, or, but, if) and neat handwriting. We have noticed lots of children taking pride in their presentation throughout their books which is great!
● In Science, we created an observation drawing of the local habitats around us. We noticed that we had lots of different habitats for the nature and wildlife around us. For example, trees, bushes, flowers, grass, soil and houses. We drew careful, detailed pictures of the habitat and labelled these with who we think lives there.
● Please make sure you are reading with your child at least four times a week and commenting on their reading in their reading record book. Please can reading records stay in your child's book bag.
● Please support your child to access Numbots online. It is recommended that children play Numbots for 10 minutes a day for maximum impact.
● Spellings are sent home on Monday’s for the text on Friday. Please can you practise these with your child throughout the week.