● In English we have continued looking at descriptive writing. We started the week by writing a short descriptive summary of our class story, Journey. The children are excellent at using their imagination and creativity to support them with writing expanded noun phrases. We have also been looking at past tense, punctuation and using -ly to turn adjectives into adverbs. We have enjoyed watching these videos to help us understand. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/z8mxrwx/articles/zqghtyc
● In Maths, we have been comparing and ordering amounts. We have ordered 3 numbers, in different forms, from smallest to biggest. When ordering numbers, we have been focusing on using language such as; greatest, most, fewest, least, greater, and more. Also this week, we have been practising counting in 2’s, 5’s, 10’s and 3’s. We have challenged ourselves by starting at a random number instead of zero- please challenge us on this at home!
● This week in Phonics we looked at /-el/ as in camel and tunnel. We have also looked at three more Year 2 common exception words this week. These are defined as words where the usual spelling rules do not apply. Our words this week are class, grass and pass. We have practiced these by writing them in bubble writing, rainbow writing and highlighting the ‘tricky’ part of the word.
● In PSHE we have been looking at good behaviours. We have had some lovely discussions about how we can support others in making the right choices and how we can be positive role models around school. We already have lots of excellent role models in Year 2!
● In Science we predicted what might happen to a seed planted in Winter. We are going to test our prediction over the next few months and see how our seeds grow!
● In Geography, we started looking at different modes of transport. We learned that there are three main types of transport- air, land and water. Please challenge us on naming some of the modes of transport!
● Please make sure you are reading with your child at least four times a week and commenting on their reading in their reading record book. Please can reading records stay in your child's book bag.
● Please support your child to access Numbots online. It is recommended that children play Numbots for 10 minutes a day for maximum impact.
● We have shortened the spelling test to 5 words per week, these are a mixture of the homophone or common exception words learned this week and the focus sound. We will still test these on Fridays, so please can you support your child with learning these during the week. Some fun ways to practise spellings are: rainbow writing, bubble writing, look-cover-write-check, sensory writing, chanting, singing etc…
● This week's spelling label, grass, panel, pass, towel.
● Our library days are on Fridays, please can you make sure your child has their library book to return or renew.
● Due to a clash in the school calendar we will be hosting the Parent read on Friday 21st October 2022 at 2:30pm. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.
● It is Bag2School on Friday 7th October, so children can wear non school uniform.