● We started practising our Christmas play this week. Please can you make sure you are helping your child to remember their lines!
● In English we started our new unit, focusing on the book Rosie Revere Engineer. This book focuses on a girl who dreams of being an engineer. It follows her as she attempts to create unique and crazy gadgets. On Monday we received a poster for a competition to design a new Bascule bridge, like Tower Bridge in London. We designed our own bridges, labelling them with construction nouns such as cog, pulley, crank, lever, rod, pillar, column, engine, pivot and chain. We have also looked at writing verbs in their progressive forms. This is when we change verbs to describe what is currently happening, for example rotate becomes rotating.
● In Maths, we started our new unit all about shape. We began by recapping our Year 1 knowledge on shape, by sorting and naming some 2-D and 3-D shapes. We have then focused on counting the sides and vertices on 2-D shapes, before having a go at accurately drawing and creating 2-D shapes. To help us with this we have used geo-boards, lolly-pop sticks and sticks.
● This week in Phonics we looked at /tch/ found in words like match and pitch. For our common exception words this week we have learned who and whole. We have practised spelling these words in different writing styles, we like to call this ‘graffiti time’! Our handwriting focus letters this week are t, c and h. We have been really focusing on extending the letter ‘h’ so it does not get confused with the letter ‘n’. We have also created homophone posters for the words here/ hear, son/sun and won/one.
● In Computing we have continued looking at how to use the internet safely and sensibly. We looked this week at following links from one web page to another. We have drawn pictures and written what we see when we search for information on the internet.
● In Science we constructed and carried out our experiments to find the elastic band with the most stretch! For this, we needed to create our own table to record findings, measure the elastic bands and ensure we were carrying out a fair test. We had lots of fun doing this!
● We have a few overdue library books; please can you make sure these are returned before Christmas.
● Please make sure you are reading with your child at least four times a week and commenting on their reading in their reading record book. Please can reading records stay in your child's book bag.
● Phonics folders are sent home on a Friday, please could these be returned at the start of the next week.
● Please support your child to access Numbots online. It is recommended that children play Numbots for 10 minutes a day for maximum impact.
● Spellings are sent home on Monday’s for the text on Friday. Please can you practise these with your child throughout the week.
● Friday 2nd December- Santa Dash in school. Please can the children return their sponsorship forms and donations by Friday 9th December.
● Tuesday 6th December 2.15pm- Christmas Play.
● Thursday 8th December 9.15am- Christmas Play.