● In English we started a new unit, focusing on the story Journey by Aaron Becker. This is a beautiful picture book with no words. We have explored how we can make inferences and predictions about the text using the images, with a specific focus on the colours used. We have continued looking at expanded noun phrases and have used these to describe the settings in the story. We are really challenging ourselves to use more descriptive language in our writing!
● In Maths, we have rounded off our place value unit by looking at positioning numbers on a number line. We started by looking at 10s, we are very confident at counting in 10s! We then focused on positioning 10s and 1s on a number line. For this, we needed to work out the intervals between each number so we could see what the number line was counting up in. We had a go at counting up in jumps of 2, 3 and 5. This knowledge helped us at the end of the week when we were estimating missing numbers on the number line.
● This week in Phonics we looked at /-al/ as in hospital and total. We have also started to look at the Year 2 common exception words. These are defined as words where the usual spelling rules do not apply. We started with bath, path and father. We have practiced these by writing them in bubble writing, rainbow writing and highlighting the ‘tricky’ part of the word. We were amazed by the children’s spelling scores last week, thank you for practicing these at home!
● In PE we have focused on ‘keeping control’. We practiced aiming, throwing and rolling. We found it quite funny rolling the balls around our body!
● In Science we created a poster to inform people of the differences between flowers and trees. In Geography, we worked in small groups to create our own world maps. We used atlases, sources from the internet and our own knowledge to help us. Please challenge us to name the 7 continents of the world. We love using this song to help us remember, but be warned, it is very catchy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6DSMZ8b3LE
● Please make sure you are reading with your child at least four times a week and commenting on their reading in their reading record book. Please can reading records stay in your child's book bag.
● Please support your child to access Numbots online. It is recommended that children play Numbots for 10 minutes a day for maximum impact.
● Your child has come home with a list of spellings, which we will practice on Fridays. Please can you support your child with learning these during the week. Some fun ways to practice spellings are: rainbow writing, bubble writing, look-cover-write-check, sensory writing, chanting, singing etc…
● Our library days are on Fridays, please can you make sure your child has their library book to return or renew. We have a few overdue books, please could you look for these at home, so your child can take home a new book.
● Due to a clash in the school calendar we will be hosting the Parent read on Friday 21st October 2022 at 2:30pm. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.
● PE is back to Monday and Wednesday next week.