It was wonderful to be able to share the children’s stories with you this week, they were all so proud to showcase their hard work and efforts over the last few weeks.
Thank you all for your donations for Harvest. The children had a special Harvest assembly on Monday, where they performed the Harvest Samba.
We hope you have a wonderful half term!
● In English we have finished editing our adventure stories and writing these up onto ‘magical star paper’. The children are really proud of their stories and it has been lovely to watch their imaginations come to life, whilst they have become authors. We have practised reading through our stories, with a focus on adding expression and tone when reading. We found that this has made the stories sound even more magical!
● In Maths, we have been continuing our addition and subtraction unit. We started the week with a focus on subtraction, looking at using our knowledge of number bonds to 10 to support us with subtracting from a 10. We then moved on to subtract a 1-digit number from a 2-digit number. We have ended the week with working out 10 more and 10 less. We love singing along to these fun videos by Jack Hartman to help us remember our 10 times tables. Count Together by 10's | Counting Workout for Kids | Jack Hartmann Counting by 10s
● This week in Phonics we looked at /al/ as in walk and smallest. For our common exception words like week, we have looked at fast, past and last. We have been focused on our handwriting this week, our focus letters were j, d and g. These are letters that we sometimes find tricky, we are working hard at remembering to extend our j and g below the line.
● In RE, we had a special visit from a church leader from Kings Community Church. This week we have learned about Christianity and Hinduism. We have looked at the story of The Last Supper and we have had lots of discussions about foods that are special to us, Christians and Hindus.
● In Art, we finished illustrating our stories. We have created a front cover, inside image and the back page of our book. We had to think carefully about which media we wanted to use to best create our illustrations.
● In Science, we have been exploring our classroom in search of a range of materials and objects. We found wooden, plastic, rubber, metal, cardboard, paper and glass objects. We also spoke about how these different materials behave and their properties. Challenge us over the half term to find and explain a range of materials and objects to you!
● Please make sure you are reading with your child at least four times a week and commenting on their reading in their reading record book. Please can reading records stay in your child's book bag.
● Phonics folders are sent home on a Friday, please could these be returned at the start of the next week.
● Please support your child to access Numbots online. It is recommended that children play Numbots for 10 minutes a day for maximum impact.
● After half term, we will be sending 10 spellings home on a Monday for the spelling test on a Friday. This is so the children can be tested on the focus sound of that week! There is no homework for this week.
● Inventors Day- Thursday 3rd November. Children are invited to dress up as an inventor of their choice for a fun filled History day!