This week has been a fun packed week! With clubs starting, storytellers and Roald Dahl Day. Thank you to everyone who came dressed up as a character from one of Roald Dahl’s books, it was lovely to see everyone in character and using their imaginations. Hopefully your children feel inspired to write their own stories and tell them to others.
● In English we finished George’s Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl. It was lovely to share this as a class and reveal the magic together. We started the week learning about expanded noun phrases. We learnt that an expanded noun phrase is where we use more than one adjective to describe a noun. We practised using these in our writing to add description and detail. We ended the week by writing our own poems as spells. They are free verse poems. I wonder if your child can remember what makes a free verse poem special.
● We are continuing working through a place value unit in Maths. This week we have focused on partitioning numbers into tens and ones and explored using a number line. As we continue throughout the year the children will use number lines regularly in maths to support them in addition and subtraction, so it is important they have a secure understanding of this.
● This week in Phonics we looked at /-il/ as in pencil and fossil. We have also looked at the homophones blue/ blew. The children have shown great confidence in continuing to use our new phonic scheme during phonic lessons and to support their independent writing. We have been focusing on showing pride in our presentation, with a specific focus on handwriting. This is something we will be working on during our phonic lessons.
● In Art we have started to look at illustrators. We started with the book Hey You! By Dapo Adeola. Here is the link if you would like to listen to it again with your child https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39vKeF4_Law . We have talked about how we use our imaginations to explore and present our ideas in art. We have practised different drawing techniques and will continue to build on this later in the term.
● In Computing we have started to look at online safety. We have been discussing how we can stay safe online by not disclosing personal information which could be tracked to create an accurate profile of ourselves.
● In Science we have observed and sketched trees in the school grounds. We have explored what types of trees these are and labelled them with new vocabulary we have learnt.
● Please make sure you are reading with your child at least four times a week and commenting on their reading in their reading record book.
● Please support your child to access Numbots online. It is recommended that children play Numbots for 10 minutes a day for maximum impact.
● Your child has come home with a list of spellings, which we will practice on Fridays. Please can you support your child with learning these during the week. Some fun ways to practice spellings are: rainbow writing, bubble writing, look-cover-write-check, sensory writing, chanting, singing etc…
Due to a clash in the school calendar we will be hosting the Parent read on Friday 21st October 2022 at 2:30pm. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.
Next week we will have PE on Tuesday 20th in school.