● In English we have finished writing our draft adventure stories. We have also looked at the skill of editing and proof reading our work. We have been making sure we have spelt our common exception words correctly. We are excited to share our creativity with you at the parent meet on Friday 21st October 2022 at 2.30pm.
● In Maths, we are continuing our addition and subtraction unit. We have continued to develop our understanding of number bonds to 10 by partitioning a number into two parts to simplify a calculation. For example, in 5+6 we could partition 5 into 4 and 1. We could use our number bond knowledge to know that 4+6=10, therefore 5+6 is equal to 10+1. It was very tricky at first, but we have practiced using counters, tens frames and part- whole models to help us with this! We have also had a look at adding three 1-digit numbers. We are super at this, please give us some challenges at home so we can show you our skills!
● This week in Phonics we looked at /au/ as in sauce and pause. We had a busy week learning a lot more new Year 2 common exception words! We looked at find, mind, kind, behind, child, wild, climb. We have been working hard to challenge ourselves to use these words in our independent writing!
● In PSHE, we have been looking at our rights and responsibilities as pupils at Boorley Park. We have had some wonderful discussions about how we can support each other's learning, happiness and overall wellbeing at school.
● In Art, we started to create illustrations for adventure stories using a range of media. Our work exploring different artistic techniques has enabled us to choose the most appropriate way to illustrate our novels.
● We have started a new unit in Science, focusing on everyday materials. We began by thinking back to our learning in Year 1 and discussing the different types of materials we come across each day. We came up with; wood, metal, plastic, rubber, glass, cardboard, paper, rock and brick. A fun game to play is I spy…I wonder if you could help us to spot any of our everyday materials over the weekend?
● Please make sure you are reading with your child at least four times a week and commenting on their reading in their reading record book. Please can reading records stay in your child's book bag.
● Please support your child to access Numbots online. It is recommended that children play Numbots for 10 minutes a day for maximum impact.
● We have shortened the spelling test to 5 words per week, these are a mixture of the homophone or common exception word learned that week and the focus sound. We will still test these on Fridays, so please can you support your child with learning these during the week. Some fun ways to practise spellings are: rainbow writing, bubble writing, look-cover-write-check, sensory writing, chanting, singing etc…
● Our library days are on Fridays, please can you make sure your child has their library book to return or renew.
● Due to a clash in the school calendar we will be hosting the Parent read on Friday 21st October 2022 at 2:30pm. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.
● Harvest festival- Monday 17th October. We will be collecting donations of tins, dry food and toiletries for Kings Community Church food bank.