Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Please click on the links below to see additional resources for supporting your child:

Special Educational Needs Padlet

Supporting Families Padlet

SEND Information Report

This document is produced in accordance with Clause 65 of the 2014 Children’s Act.

The kinds of Special Educational Needs and Disability for which provision is made at Boorley Park Primary School.

Boorley Park Primary School is a mainstream school. Our philosophy is based on the belief that all pupils are of equal worth and should have an entitlement to equal opportunities.

The SENCO is Mrs Helena Darnley.

If you are considering whether your child with special needs should join Boorley Park Primary School, you may wish to contact the SENCO on 01489 737970 or by emailling senco@boorleyparkprimary.org

The Local Authority has produced their Local Offer of services available. This can be found at www.hantslocaloffer.info

How is my child supported prior to joining Boorley Park Primary School?

How does Boorley Park Primary School know if my child needs extra help and what do I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

We place pupils on the SEND Register if they have an identified need, whether this can be met with High Quality Inclusive Teaching or whether the pupil requires specific intervention. Pupils’ difficulties will be indicated on the register.

Pupils who have needs which do not meet the criteria for inclusion on the SEN Register will be placed on an Information Register so that staff are aware of specific needs and how to support them in class.

Prior to Transition:

On entry to Boorley Park Primary:

This data is reviewed by the SENCO and may lead to further assessments where there is a concern. These may be carried out either by school staff or by external agencies.

Whilst on roll at Boorley Park Primary:

The school’s general arrangements for assessing and reporting also contribute to the identification of SEND pupils.

What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

If you have any worries about your child, you can raise your concerns by contacting the SENCO via the school office.

The SENCO, in consultation with your child’s teachers, can screen your child for some common learning difficulties using a range of tests. Following assessment, we will share the report with you. 

For a formal diagnosis of certain difficulties e.g. Speech and Language or Dyspraxia you should contact  your GP. Further advice can be sought from the SENCO.

How will Boorley Park Primary School and I know how my child is doing and how can I support my child’s learning?

How will the school staff support my child?

The class teacher will oversee, plan and work with each child with SEND in their class to ensure that progress in every area is made. If they are identified with SEND, they will have a SEND support plan with specific targets related to their needs which may include involvement from External Agencies, such as Occupational Therapy, SALT.  Additional general support may be provided by the teacher or teaching assistant in the class.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

How is the decision made about the type and how much support my child will receive?

The class teacher alongside the SENCO will discuss the child’s needs and what support would be appropriate. Different children will require different levels of support in order to close the gap to achieve age expected levels. Decisions are based upon school-based and outside agency assessments, pupil progress and / or discussions with parents.

Access arrangements (such as a reader, scribe or additional time) for public examinations will be sought following guidelines and criteria from the related Examination body.

The school budget includes money for supporting children with SEND. The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school. The Head Teacher and the SENCO discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed. Resources are allocated according to individual needs within the budget of the school.

Children with an EHCP may have specific allocations in terms of resources and additional adult support. These will be met in full.

Pupils’ progress will be closely monitored each half-term and we may seek further advice or remove the pupil from the intervention when they have made sufficient progress.

How will my child be included in activities outside the school classroom including school trips?

An underlying principle of the school’s ethos is that of inclusion. All pupils are valued for what they can bring to the school and are entitled to take part in all that the school offers. We are committed to making this accessible to all our pupils given the resources available. There is recognition of pupils’ differences, and the provision of appropriate learning opportunities, matching work to the needs of pupils.

We endeavor to include pupils in all activities, trips and visits subject to risk assessment and the ability to make reasonable adjustments.

What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

We are an inclusive school; we welcome and celebrate diversity. All staff believe that children having high self-esteem is crucial to a child’s well-being. We have a caring, understanding team looking after our children.

The class teacher has overall responsibility for the pastoral, medical and social care of every child in their class, therefore this would be the parents’ first point of contact. If further support is required, the class teacher liaises with the SENCO for further advice and support. This may involve working alongside outside agencies such as Health and Social Services, and/or the Primary Behaviour Service.

There is also access to the services of a trained counsellor should the school and parents agree this is a suitable course of action for the child.

The Governors of Boorley Park Primary School are responsible for entrusting a named person, to monitor Safeguarding and Child Protection procedures.

What specialist service and expertise are available or can be accessed by Boorley Park Primary School?

The school SENCO holds the National Award for SEN Co-ordination.

When your child joins Boorley Park Primary School the following services may be accessed:

How accessible is the school both indoors and outdoors?

The school site remains open throughout the day.  It is maintained in order to make sure it is safe and accessible for pupils with a Visual Impairment or Physical Disability. The school conforms with current disability legislation and the school is equipped for wheelchair access The school has disabled parking bays as well as a disabled toilet and changing room. The school will make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to accommodate disabled users including pupils, staff and visitors.

How can I get involved in the school?

How will Boorley Park Primary School support my child to transfer to another school or on to secondary school?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible. If your child is moving child to another school:We will contact the school SENCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child.We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

When moving between classes at Boorley Park Primacy School:

Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All SEND profiles will be shared with the new teacher. If your child would be helped by a social story to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.

In Year 6:

The SENCO will attend the primary transition event to discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCO of their secondary school. Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead. Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.

What steps should I take if I have a concern about the school’s SEND provision?

Please contact Mrs Darnley (SENCO) if you have an immediate concern. Parents are always welcome by appointment to discuss provision. Any parent who is dissatisfied with the provision can find the school complaints policy on the school’s website and on request.

Where can I get further information about services for my child?

The Local Authority has produced their Local Offer of services available. This can be found at www.hantslocaloffer.info

This document is provided as part of The Local Offer for Hampshire.

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)